Thursday, March 11, 2010

I lose it to the evening news

 I cannot watch another moment

Tonight the shiny people looked out at me
and read out to me
of how the babies died
 how the babies
held tight in baby slings....
I looked away...remembering
then
how a guy
just trying to make a living,
named Umberto
ended up shot and run over by his own bus.....
I thought
I started to think
I've seen that bus, but
 Oh the happy mothers, with the baby slings
Oh, the happy helping fathers with the baby slings...
 
... but we reached a high of 61° today at....
 
the babies' chins touched their tender chests...
their airways were tenderly compressed
their little sighs not heard above the passing traffic...
 Someone being shot in the passing traffic....
 
I cannot imagine it
the moment it
it cannot have been like anything
like anything I've ever...
 
no
 that, that is not so,
 I have....
no one knows this,
no
every parent, 
Oh mothers, Oh fathers,,,,
 knows this,
how each has
 gotten up
in the pitch of night
to touch one of the poor little fever hot sick babies.
..yes...
To see if they were still
or
still breathing
 
Sports is next
but
I cannot watch another moment.
 

1 comment: