Monday, March 15, 2010

The Grapefruit Diaries (1) 3/14/2010

Confession
I have been holding out on you. Every morning I have coffee, toast and a half a grapefruit for breakfast. I put the toast in, the coffee on and, while cutting up the grapefruit, I have a conversation with myself which I alway intend to pass along especially if it's at all interesting. I never do.
It's a shame, it's my shame and things are going to change (insert blues riff here) Maybe the weekend rain made things different in the mind.

I don't know about your mind, but in the early morning before anything about the day has really started to become real, my brain spiels out the oddest observations like:
-Did you see that? (It's speaking to me now.) You put the toast in and the coffee on.
- Yes, I say, I saw/see that, what of it?
- Well, it speaks of how we fit words together in particular ways, if you'd put the coffee up, you'd be putting it in a cabinet. If you use any other preposition other than 'on' the whole meaning of the sentence might be changed.
-Right. What else you got?
-Four hours is a long time to be stuck in traffic.
-God, yes. (The mind is referring to a friend who was coming to dinner last night and got caught in a traffic jam on the West Side of the George Washington Bridge. It took him fours hours to go the last three miles into the city ----and he still insisted on paying for dinner.)
-There won't be a sunrise this morning, even though it coming up an hour later.
-Have we moved on from waiting for four hours to cross the bridge?
-Oh...um, (Tries to think of something which never works.)
-Okay, never mind, I'll say it, You never know what is going to happen, so be ready.
-I was going to say that you got your kitchen counters really clean while waiting for him to arrive.
-Yes, that's true.
-And yesterday, when the Internet and the cable was out, you really got a lot of writing done. Or, at least, you got a lot of ideas down on paper instead of just thinking about them.
-Are you saying I should unplug a few things?
-I was thinking you had some interesting dreams last night about running in the breezy sunshine and that thing about the cheeseburgers and OH that mother and child and the anaconda.
-The toast is up. (hmmm----you put it IN but you take it OUT when it's UP.)

I going to sip this coffee now.


-

1 comment:

  1. There's always a sunrise, even if you don't see it. Though the sun never rises at all. Does it feel like you're going almost 1,000 miles an hour when you are on the equator? You are, you know. That's why they try to launch satellites from as near the equator as they can afford to. You start OUT with the 1,000 miles an hour, light the fuse and let 'er rip!

    How was that toast? Did you butter it up? or down? Did you jam up and jelly tight?

    ReplyDelete